Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Stuff

I am pooped.  The semester is over and I don't have class until September 2nd.  Of course I do have about 400 pages to read for the first day of class so I'm super psyched for this "break".  

Our air conditioner FINALLY got fixed last night at 7pm.  I had intended to drive to San Antonio after finals were over and the air situation was resolved but I decided today I just couldn't make the trip.  The thought of driving for 4 hours by myself with Avelyn just makes my stomach turn.  Literally.  She has moved beyond the newborn stage and doesn't sleep much at all during the day.  Usually a 30 minute nap in the morning and a 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon.  Neither of these is long enough to drive 200 miles in peace.  I thought about driving at night, after she goes to bed, but that didn't work last night.  It was 11pm before I got everything packed up and (mostly) cleaned at my grandparents house and I was way too tired to be on the road until 3:00 in the morning.

Kevin was pretty frustrated since he was looking forward to seeing us, and I felt bad about not going, but I had to make the right choice for all of us.  It wasn't smart to drive that late at night and it probably isn't wise to drive that trip at all just me and her.  Luckily Kevin woke up this morning and decided he would just come back to Houston for a few days.  He has a lot of work to do but nothing that required he be at school to accomplish.  I am really glad he came back.  He was just gone 2 days but I think I was happier to see him today than I was when I picked him up at the airport.  That sounds weird.  Oh well.  

I really wanted to go to San Antonio because there are a few friends I didn't get to see the last time I went (in May) and I was looking forward to seeing them.  Also, my brother is in SA this week and I haven't seen him since... thinking... oh wow, Christmas??  Is that right?  He leaves for basic training for the Army August 26th and I want to see him and introduce Avelyn before he goes.  To top it off I just heard he was in a car wreck in SA.  Turns out it wasn't too bad, which I naturally assumed since my mother notified me of the incident via Facebook mail.  LOL.  I can't believe my baby brother is all grown up and Army Strong.  I'm so proud of him.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts, suggestions or past experiences about road trips with babies please leave a comment!

Oh - I got an 'A' in Psychiatric and Mental Health!  Thanks for all your good thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Cannot believe your bro is in the Army! As much as I wuld have enjoyed being in the same city as you, I absolutley understand your reasoning. Cant wait til I do get to see you, maybe the Welches and Goodwins can do dinner then.
    Please excuse my spelling, I have horrible preggo head and dont feel like spell checking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the prayers!

    I get really stressed at the prospect of taking Brooklyn on any kind of road trips because I know how bad short trips across town can be when she is screaming her head off!

    BUT we have had to take her to Dallas for doctor's appts (2 hrs each way) and she went to Oklahoma for my baby brother's Army basic graduation last month (4 hrs each way) and has done beautifully both times! She sleeps most of the time in the car. In fact, she slept the whole way to Dallas and most of the way back last week. I am still amazed!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving ME a comment? Oh, I'm so flattered!